2 yr old injured at Costco, bullied by claim adjustor

490 of 736 Costco reviews

I am writing to you about an incident that happened to my 2 year old son at the Danvers, MA Costco. On April 12th, my son and I were shopping at Costco, when he had his finger stuck in one of the slots on the metal post of the shelf that can be found all over Costco. When he struggled to free his finger, he cut his thumb on the metal edge of the hole which caused it to bleed heavily. Since the laceration was made near the tendon area where there is not much flesh to protect it, we were very concerned that he had injured his tendon. In addition, the cut was made on a piece of metal, so there is a chance he needs a tetanus shot. My husband and I took him to the ER immediately after the incident.

While controlling one's child is ultimately a parent's responsibility, Costco has a responsibility to ensure that it is safe for all age visitors or visitors should have been warned in advance of the unsafe areas. My son was using the property normally when the injury was made. The metal post that had inflicted his injury was not marked unsafe by any sign of warning, which indicates that Costco was not aware or not concerned of its potential danger. But just because you close your eyes to danger doesn't mean the danger don't exist, and that is where the liability law comes in play.

I have communicated with the claim adjustor Sylvia S. McLaughlin for several month since the incident. When I told her my son had experienced pain and stress because of his injury, she brushed it off by saying "kids don't feel stress" and "they don't remember pain". No need to say how offended I was. She was not there to witness when my son cried in pain while the nurse treated his wound, his disappointment when he couldn't play with his little friends at the playground because it hurts every time he used his left hand to hold on; or his disappointment when the weather is finally nice, yet he still couldn't play with his favorite water table because he wasn't suppose to get his injured thumb wet. Ms McLaughlin has many times ensured me that Costco is not at all liable for the incident because Costco was not aware of any danger in the area where the incident had occurred. What kind of reasoning is that? There is always a first for everything. Plus, if what she said is true then there is no need for liability law since anyone can just claim they weren't aware of danger so they can get away with anything. When I suggested that Costco should do something to prevent this happening again, Ms McLaughlin quickly replied with "there is nothing Costco can do". On the contrary, there are things you can do to fix the issue. For example, a very simple solution to this problem would be to wrap the lower section of the metal post with plastic tarp. My whole experience talking with Ms McLaughlin, left me with the disgusting feeling of been bullied.

I think Costco should take this opportunity to think about how to fix this issue rather than trying to escape its responsibility.

We have been loyal customer of Costco and have recommend Costco to many friends and family. I hope Costco can be reasonable in resolving this case, so we can continue to enjoy your service long after.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 2 Yes 2
490 of 736 Costco reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 14, 2015 #1048332

How strange
I too was injured,st COSTCO.
an also strange I dealt with se,woman
Her story is, OAT O is,self insured therefore not libel.

0 0 Reply
D_Trump

Jan 23 #1099691 San Francisco, California, United States

Was it your brain that was injured. 'Cause you surely don't make a dam bit of friggin' sense.
Good thing you stayed anonymous A wipe.

1 0 Reply

Jul 01, 2015 #1002218

Dumb *** parent not watching their child and he gets injured. Trying to make a profit. Fall on concrete, complain to city that they should wrap floor in plastic tarp so he won't injuryhis feet, knees or hand.

7 1 Reply

May 30, 2015 #989614

Hey!
You might be a good parent but you are a bad person.

4 0 Reply
KevinRichards

Dec 06, 2014 #912094 Orange, California, United States

The anonymous that posted on August 16 2013 must be six years old to ASSume that the person making a valid point about the parent being responsible for the child works for Costco. No one is saying anything wrong, the point is the parent should be watching the child.

5 3 Reply

Nov 30, 2014 #908316

Sticking your finger into the metal hole posts is not "normal use". Sorry about your kid, but with two kids myself, I would be beating myself up, not Costco for this. You CANNOT label everything, just about everything in the world could be dangerous if not used for its intended purpose.

10 2 Reply
Tired of the finger pointers

Sep 17, 2014 #871576

Seriously?? You weren't watching your child HE stuck his finger in the steel and it costco's fault... Wow. Hopefully you don't spill gas on yourself and blame the pumps.. Or stub your toe and blame the sidewalk

11 3 Reply
thisisjustgoing2far

Jul 03, 2014 #835319

Yes, the adjusted is obviously a horrible human being.
But the fact that you were letting a small child run around the store unheeded means YOU put him in danger, not Costco. I worked there for two years before leaving retail, and I had to catch many, many small children who ran onto the loading dock- which is employees only. Their parents no where in sight. Which means I had to put my 100 pound self between a forklift and a child too short to see over a pallet because people don't want to be responsible for their children.
That is purely the fault of the parent, not Costco.
Costco's steel is not unsafe. The employees there work with it every day and walk away uninjured. That steel is not made for people to force their hands into the slots in it.
There is nothing Costco can do.

14 2 Reply

Oct 06, 2013 #725903

Are you retarded? Why weren't you watching your kid?!? Seriously you are the dumbest person ever to think costco is responsible for your bad parenting.

9 4 Reply

Aug 24, 2013 #706209 Oak Park, Illinois, United States

This completely makes me sick. I'm so tired of people like you making a big deal and trying to blame someone else for something that is clearly your fault. Costco is a WAREHOUSE club, not a playground. What are you doing letting a 2 year old run around the store? Costco should spend $$$$ to wrap up all the bad metal shelves with tarp because someone like you didn't watch their kid??? All the membership prices and merchandise prices should go up to pay for this just in case little Johnny sticks his finger where it shouldn't be. Would your 2 year old have been able to read the "Warning don't stick your finger in metal because you might cut yourself" sign? Take responsibility and quit whining about something that is your fault. Kids get cut and scraped, it's called learning what not to do. Wow, he was so sad because he couldn't play with his little friends because his finger hurt. Why don't you make it a learning experience for him and stop coddling him.

12 3 Reply
mrsh

Jul 30, 2013 #690259 Bakersfield, California, United States

I understand you're upset about what happened to your son. However, why was he sticking his fingers there in the first place? I have three kids, my youngest two being 3 &4 and when we go to Costco I watch to make sure they dont wander off and stick themselves in pkaces where they could get hurt. If he had been walking and something had fallen on him then costco would be negligent, but in this case he stuck his fingers where they didn't belong and got hurt. You as a parent are responsible because you should have been watching your child. Costco owes you nothing. Take this as a lesson learned and move on.

11 3 Reply
KevinRichards

Dec 06, 2014 #912099 Orange, California, United States

I agree with you and I have reported this review to CPS with my concerns that the child in question is being neglected. Not only this but she seems to care more about what Costco owes her for her negligence than her child. She does not deserve to be a parent.

2 5 Reply
WhatTheF

Feb 12, 2015 #944867 Newark, New Jersey, United States

You are an ***. Kids do all kinds of things and if you're looking at an item something can go wrong in a split second. Kid could have been in the car or holding it beside her. I suppose we're supposed to blindly throw things into the cart and hope they're what we need while running into other people cause our eyes can't be on the kid the entire time? Cps get a life you obviously don't have kids. They could safety proof the bottom for Christ's sake

4 0 Reply
real world

Jul 27, 2013 #688454 Newark, New Jersey, United States

I agree to an extent. Putting a finger in a hole is not getting hurt in a safe environment. Getting hurt on a piece of metal jutting out where you grab product would be a completely different story. I agree you can't watch kids every single second but then don't shift blame when they get hurt going somewhere or doing something they shouldn't.

9 1 Reply
jolin

Jul 27, 2013 #688487 Boston, Massachusetts, United States

That is exactly what I am trying to say. I absolutely agree a slot on a metal post is not a safe place to put ones finger. By premises liability law Costco has the responsibility to ensure that it is safe for all age shoppers or warn in advance of the unsafe areas. And Costco has fail to do so. Costco is one who is trying to shift blame, not i.

3 9 Reply
pulltype

Sep 23, 2014 #874225

Not correct. The responsibility is to provide reasonable safety. Talk to a lawyer and see how far this will go.

3 3 Reply

1-20 of 28 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Costco. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Costco.
Filing a new complaint about
×