I am writing to you about an incident that happened to my 2 year old son at the Danvers, MA Costco. On April 12th, my son and I were shopping at Costco, when he had his finger stuck in one of the slots on the metal post of the shelf that can be found all over Costco. When he struggled to free his finger, he cut his thumb on the metal edge of the hole which caused it to bleed heavily. Since the laceration was made near the tendon area where there is not much flesh to protect it, we were very concerned that he had injured his tendon. In addition, the cut was made on a piece of metal, so there is a chance he needs a tetanus shot. My husband and I took him to the ER immediately after the incident.

While controlling one's child is ultimately a parent's responsibility, Costco has a responsibility to ensure that it is safe for all age visitors or visitors should have been warned in advance of the unsafe areas. My son was using the property normally when the injury was made. The metal post that had inflicted his injury was not marked unsafe by any sign of warning, which indicates that Costco was not aware or not concerned of its potential danger. But just because you close your eyes to danger doesn't mean the danger don't exist, and that is where the liability law comes in play.

I have communicated with the claim adjustor Sylvia S. McLaughlin for several month since the incident. When I told her my son had experienced pain and stress because of his injury, she brushed it off by saying "kids don't feel stress" and "they don't remember pain". No need to say how offended I was. She was not there to witness when my son cried in pain while the nurse treated his wound, his disappointment when he couldn't play with his little friends at the playground because it hurts every time he used his left hand to hold on; or his disappointment when the weather is finally nice, yet he still couldn't play with his favorite water table because he wasn't suppose to get his injured thumb wet. Ms McLaughlin has many times ensured me that Costco is not at all liable for the incident because Costco was not aware of any danger in the area where the incident had occurred. What kind of reasoning is that? There is always a first for everything. Plus, if what she said is true then there is no need for liability law since anyone can just claim they weren't aware of danger so they can get away with anything. When I suggested that Costco should do something to prevent this happening again, Ms McLaughlin quickly replied with "there is nothing Costco can do". On the contrary, there are things you can do to fix the issue. For example, a very simple solution to this problem would be to wrap the lower section of the metal post with plastic tarp. My whole experience talking with Ms McLaughlin, left me with the disgusting feeling of been bullied.

I think Costco should take this opportunity to think about how to fix this issue rather than trying to escape its responsibility.

We have been loyal customer of Costco and have recommend Costco to many friends and family. I hope Costco can be reasonable in resolving this case, so we can continue to enjoy your service long after.

Review about: Metal Shelf.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Costco?

Comments

How strange

I too was injured,st COSTCO.

an also strange I dealt with se,woman

Her story is, OAT O is,self insured therefore not libel.

D_Trump
to Anonymous San Francisco, California, United States #1099691

Was it your brain that was injured. 'Cause you surely don't make a dam bit of friggin' sense.

Good thing you stayed anonymous A wipe.

Dumb *** parent not watching their child and he gets injured. Trying to make a profit. Fall on concrete, complain to city that they should wrap floor in plastic tarp so he won't injuryhis feet, knees or hand.

Hey!

You might be a good parent but you are a bad person.

KevinRichards
Orange, California, United States #912094

The anonymous that posted on August 16 2013 must be six years old to ASSume that the person making a valid point about the parent being responsible for the child works for Costco. No one is saying anything wrong, the point is the parent should be watching the child.

KevinRichards
Orange, California, United States #912092

You are correct, the keeping the children safe is the parents responsibility, you failed at that and are blaming them.

Sticking your finger into the metal hole posts is not "normal use". Sorry about your kid, but with two kids myself, I would be beating myself up, not Costco for this. You CANNOT label everything, just about everything in the world could be dangerous if not used for its intended purpose.

Tired of the finger pointers

Seriously??You weren't watching your child HE stuck his finger in the steel and it costco's fault...

Wow.

Hopefully you don't spill gas on yourself and blame the pumps..Or stub your toe and blame the sidewalk

thisisjustgoing2far

Yes, the adjusted is obviously a horrible human being.

But the fact that you were letting a small child run around the store unheeded means YOU put him in danger, not Costco.I worked there for two years before leaving retail, and I had to catch many, many small children who ran onto the loading dock- which is employees only.

Their parents no where in sight. Which means I had to put my 100 pound self between a forklift and a child too short to see over a pallet because people don't want to be responsible for their children.

That is purely the fault of the parent, not Costco.

Costco's steel is not unsafe.

The employees there work with it every day and walk away uninjured.

That steel is not made for people to force their hands into the slots in it.

There is nothing Costco can do.

Are you retarded?Why weren't you watching your kid?!?

Seriously you are the dumbest person ever to think costco is responsible for your bad parenting.