Seattle, Washington

My wife, Courtney and I flew cross country from Atlanta to Seattle to attend a cousins' 50th birthday weekend. The guest of honor (Vanetta Arnold) asked if my wife and I minded accompanying her husband (Sterling Fowler) to pick up additional beer & wine for both of the weekend events, at one of the Warehouse Membership Clubs (Not Sams or BJ's) She handed the card to my wife, while they were in another store together. Vanetta had another stop to make, so the three of us, pressed for time, proceeded as requested and stopped at the store to shop for those items. After finding what we needed, it was time to check out. All lines were beyond full; but we patiently waited our turn.

Our cashier must have been having a bad day or something because he was rude and very pushy, not to mention, seemingly ignorant of store policy. He certainly could use some customer service training, as well as the guy that called himself assisting. We didn't get his name but he was wearing a football Jersey. Nonetheless, the cashier advised Sterling that he could not use his wife's Membership Card, but our understanding of store policy states that he could have; only having to verify the same home address. The cashier said that he could not under any circumstances use his wife's Membership Card to purchase this full buggy of beer & wine. So, with time of the essence (phase I of the event soon to begin), I found my expired Membership Card in my wallet, stepped up and paid the membership renewal fee; however, our cashier still would not allow Sterling to use his debit Card to purchase the items. The cashier insisted that this is a membership club and that the membership club card, debit card, and the state I.D. for alcohol purchases all must match to proceed with the transaction.

With all of the dramatics, we reluctantly proceeded, matching up all the criteria, I finished the transaction and got the receipt, then swiftly walked towards the exit door where the Receipt Checker checked our Items marked our receipt and we were off to the parking lot to load up the car. Still ticked off and irritated about what had just transpired, we get to the truck and start loading the items, when suddenly the unthinkable happened, two out of breath individuals; a Caucasian male & a Caucasian female (that never identified themselves), approached us. Things could have gotten really dangerous at that point however, we remained calm but perplexed about being pursued in the parking lot following a legitimate transaction.

I asked how can I help you and the still unidentified male store employee said that “they” told us to come after you; then I asked, who told you to come after us? and he wouldn’t give the name of the person that he took the directive from. Interestingly enough, the sight of employees running through the parking lot stopped traffic and turned heads on this very busy day; other customers were curious to see what was going on. That didn’t stop the the male store employee who asked to once again see our receipt, it had just been presented prior to exiting the building. Both store employees looked into the SUV with receipt in hand and as we previously done in-store, they looked over the receipt comparing printed and actual goods. It was then that the male employee said – wait, we were asked to . . . My wife was getting very impatient with these two. Hold on . . . was the last thing I heard her say to them, before turning and asking me and Sterling if we really needed to continue loading the vehicle or if we should return every bit of it and cancel the regrettably renewed membership? Our receipt was returned to us by these 2 still unknown store employees with only a “we don’t see an issue” response from them -- not an apology, nor a thank you for our time and understanding of the situation, not a thank you for shopping with us, not even a have a nice good day – the two “employees” proceeded to walk back towards the store.

Were we extremely angry and felt violated, embarrassed, humiliated, profiled, and treated like second class citizens & common criminals??? ABSOLUTELY! And utterly disrespected as dis-“valued customers”.

I personally believe that both store policy & law were breached in that instance on August 3rd 2013 4:46pm and I am sure that store surveillance can show some, if not all of what unfortunately transpired that day

Product or Service Mentioned: Costco Cashier.

• Receipt checker
  • Dangerous risk
  • Profiling store personnel
  • Treating members badly
  • Ran after paying members

Comments

So you are throwing a fit because a member who was not present gave their card to someone and Costco said no?

Read the rules of membership. NO one but the member can use the card- regardless of marriage, household, ect.

Wheres my apology for wasting my time to read this over dramatized bs of a complaint. Get a life and quit ur complaining.

@Crying

F uck you f ag!

@Tim

Crying's point is certainly made.

Costco Reviews