Spokane, Washington

I have had costco hearing aids for 5 years. The weakness in this this particular aid is that the battery door is used as an on off switch, and since it is flimsy plastic it frequently breaks, and the repair requires that the hearing aid be recased.

Each of my hearing aids has had this problem 2 or 3 times, at a repair cost of $135. Yesterday, I took in a hearig aid again that had a broken battery door, and was told that they could no longer be repaired, because they were 5 years old, there solution, buy nw hearing aids.

So keep in mind that although it is otherwise a pretty good hearing aid, it is only a 5 year lifetime. Meanwhile I am using cellophane tape to keep the battery in place.

Comments

Life expectancy of hearing aids is 4-5 years. Manufacturers charge a surcharge to repair aids after that time, if they are able to repair them.

They discontinue stocking parts at some point. There are all-make repair labs that will repair anything they can, but the WHOLESALE repair charge is going to be more than $135. Behind-the-ear battery door replacement often requires replacing the whole case, for an additional charge. Be prepared to spend $200-$300.

Maybe better invested in a new one? In-the-ear doors can usually be replaced in the office for a minimal charge as long as parts can be found.

I have been told at Costco and at Miracle Ear that the expected life of a hearing aid is 4 years. I feel that Costco would be doing you a disservice if they repaired the aid because it has been my experience that the new technology is so far superior to the old (four years ago) that I would rather pay $2500 for a new pair than $135 to repair the old.

Costco Reviews