Sept 2/ 2016
Subject: Broken HP Laptop submitted for repair on approx Aug 20/
To whom it may concern........
As a loyal and dedicated Costco customer and Executive Member since 2007, it is with a certain level of disappointment that I am writing this letter.
Approx. 1 year ago I purchased an HP laptop from the Costco warehouse in Langford, British Columbia for approx. $800 CAD including tax and initially I was happy with my purchase. The laptop was kept on a solid table. The computer was kept in a smoke free, pet free house and was operated with extreme care and caution.
Approx. 1 week ago, when I attempted to open this previously well cared for item, I was both shocked and upset to see that the hinge component on the lower right hand side of the monitor had broken loose and the plasticcovering of the hinge had begun to break away. I was unsure of what to do in this case so I left the laptop lid in the open position so as not to further aggravate the situation which I was still attempting to understand the root cause.
It was with further disappointment that upon calling the Costco concierge to express my concern with this apparent defective item that an insinuation was being made that the damage was caused by ‘human error’ when in actual fact the only human interaction with the item in question was that as the item is designed to operate and no other. In search of further information and answers via online resources revealed that this is apparently a common issue with HP laptops in that the materials used are of an apparent low quality and as such they are not built to last which only adds to the frustration and disappointment given the initial financial outlay experienced for what is appearing to be a flawed and sub-par product.
I was instructed by the Costco concierge to package the item and forward it to an address in Whitby, Ontario which I did and the item was packaged appropriately so as to avoid further damage. In viewing the photos included ...when I shipped the laptop the hinge was behind the monitor and not exposed as indicated in the photos......Approx. 10 days after having sent the item in for a supposed repair I was completely shocked and outraged to have received my item in worse condition than when I sent it for what I expected to be a repair and/or replacement. The item was returned to me with the aforementioned broken hinge now on the front of the computer screen and a large, previously not present crack on the monitor. I do know that when I sent the item it was not in this condition and I can only surmise that this occurred whilst it was in the custody of your company or representatives of the same when packaged to return to me unrepaired.
I have made my displeasure known after having been made to wait on the telephone for several hours only to be transferred to a call centre somewhere outside of North America, in order to speak to someone who had absolutely no clue what the issue was and then to be told that the repair for the otherwise faulty hinge would cost me in excess of $250.00!
Suffice it to say I am beyond consolable with respect to the way this matter has been handled by Costco and the complete disregard shown to a presumed loyal customer. I would have expected Costco to stand by the products they sell to their ‘members’ and not to give them the runaround once the transaction has been completed, especially when a significant financial commitment has been made for a product being supplied by a supposed reputable manufacturer.
Due to the complete negligence and lack of customer care shown by Costco in this matter I would expect nothing less than a complete and full replacement of the defective and now damaged item as this damage occurred whilst the item was in the care and custody of Costco and/or its representatives despite it being packaged properly for repair.
A timely response to this important issue is expected and once resolved there is a likelihood that my personal business at your establishment and that of my friends, family and others will be seriously reconsidered!
****Shipping return box via Purolator was damaged also.......Photos to follow*****
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Layout of Store|
|Ease of Use|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I bought a set of Sealy mattress from Costco on line. The mattress set was delivered to my home on 10/26/2012, with a damaged box spring. I contacted Costco several..."
- "By far, my family and I had one of the worst experiences ever!!!My husband &I decided to go to on Friday April 15, 2011 to Wal-Mart(Store #3601, Crestwood IL) to..."
- "We bought a $70 stoller from the website. We never used it and decided to return it to the store. They wouldn't let us return the brand new..."
- "For over a month and a half at my home in Charlotte, NC , USIC has been sitting in the parking area for hours, sometimes never getting out of trucks,..."
- "A few months ago I purchased Highster Mobile Cell Phone Spy software for 69 dollars. The site at http://highstermobile.com did not indicate anything about purchasing a monthly subscription so I..."
- "Could somebody help me retrieve the first fourteen digits on my credit card please? I have not seen my card for a month and I need help to remember my..."
- "After taking hours to upload and prepare on their site (which was a headache in itself) I recently ordered two photo books. On the computer screens (we have two)..."
- "This is what they do to a single mother ! They try kicking my door down looking they my mail slot yelling coming all thru the day/night posing things all..."
- "I bought a pair of Harley Davidson Boots, Model Number 93043, and after wearing them about a dozen times, the zipper has separated from the boot. The zipper still goes..."