Costco - Member Ship manager yelled and threatened to call Police

Dear BBB,

Today (4/5/2014) I visited one of your Costco warehouse stores (1320 S. Route 59, Naperville, IL 60564-5944) in the morning around 10am. My primary purpose was to get my flat car tire repaired and to also to pick my son’s birthday cake as today was his birthday.

I spoke to the tire center associate and he told me that since I did not buy the tires from Costco, these cannot be repaired by Costco. How dumb is that? I can understand that Costco does not want to fix my tires for “free” but they can charge me money to fix the tire right? No. They would not fix the tire with or without money. Here I have a 100 dollar per year membership and I have already spent almost 1500 dollars since I joined in Jan 2014 and Costco tells me that they cannot fix the tire.

So I went on to complain to the membership manager at that time. His name is Johnny. He continued to explain that Costco will not do anything. I got a little angry with him and told him that Costco used to do this in the past so not sure why they are not doing it. He (Johnny) also got angry with me and started to shout at me in front of all the customers there. He got really upset with me and I never have experienced anyone like that in the past 10 years. He shouted extremely load at me and threatened to call the police If I did not leave the store (I am sure all the customers around the membership area heard his load voice). So basically he ashamed and humiliated me in front all the customers and shouted at me to leave the store. I am not sure what is Costco’s policy in regards to treating its customers with respect and dignity but I am sure Mr. Johnny was out of line with any and all policies that might exist for any major store like (supposedly Costco), Sam’s Club, Macy, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot etc. I think Costco gives too much of free hand to its employees and does not enforce its employees to treat Costco customers in a fair way. I am surprised to see how a Costco’s store manager could behaved. Does he behave the same way with other customers? Is Costco ok if he continues to behave in such a way? Please let me know what Costco is going to do to correct this situation. Will that manager (Johnny) apologize for his actions? How will Costco monitor this situation? I will make sure to tell my friends and acquaintances to be watch full of Costco employees at this location. I think Costco should put in some rules/policies to have their employees in check.

Please call me and explain to me what the solution to this problem is? Should I cancel my membership now? I am very unhappy with Costco’s customer service and seriously thinking of going back to Sam’s Club.

I have also included the picture of the person (Johnny). Please be aware of him as he is extremely rude and impolite.

Asim Ahmed

Cell: 630-338-7870

Membership Number: 111831135133

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Product or service
Tire Puncture
Review category
review #481774 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Costco? Submit review ›
Helpful? 13 Yes 13 28 No 28
Had the same issue 8 Yes 8
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 30, 2015 #978316

Fixing a tire that is not bought from Costco is liability. Plain and simple. Also learn to focus your camera before you snap a picture

5 0 Reply

Apr 27, 2015 #977302

I know your a liar. Your just a sore looser Indian dirt bag. I cannot stand Indian people they are such sore little cry babies so path etic and worth less. I bet the real story is your cheap useless self wanted it done for free because your precious money went into their pockets for a membership and you expect godly service when they and the manager denied you got mad But smiled in their face. Typical Indian tra sh

1 14 Reply

Apr 14, 2015 #971821

You complain to this board, you look like a fool, everyone tells you you look like a fool, I laugh. Thanks for that! Also? You probably shouldn't put your phone number on the internet like that.

1 2 Reply

Apr 10, 2015 #970528

They do not work on anything they did not sell you.
Get over yourself.

3 2 Reply

Oct 17, 2015 #1049943

LOL, thank you that was bugging me too

0 0 Reply

Mar 08, 2015 #955709

If Costco has a policy not to fix tires they didn't sell don't expect them to change just for you. The policy is there for a reason, like it or not. You were told what the policy was but decided to act like you were someone special and expected them to bend over backwards for you. You obviously didn't like what you heard and began to act like a horses back end. The manager had every right to tell you he would call the police and have you butt hauled out of the store. He may have had to say it loudly to get across to you that he wasn't talking any more of your B.S. You deserved to be shamed and humiliated for your actions. One of my best experiences as a retail manager was a discussion with a customer at the returns counter who thought I should change our policy to suit him and he got quite loud and used a fair amount of foul language. The customer behind him just happened to be an off duty police officer who asked if he could have a few words with this guy. Of course I let him. He told the guy he had to stop talking like that. The customer got loud and said he could talk anyway he wanted. At that point the officer pulled out his badge and handcuffs and just as loudly explained if he wanted to keep it up he would be handcuffed and taken to jail for creating a public nuisance. Just goes to show you that you can't strut into a store and start demanding they do everything you want. Even a good customer has to abide by the policies of the store.

11 3 Reply

Jan 17, 2015 #932472 Tacoma, Washington

I can't believe it - doesn't Costco know that if they just fixed your tire that you didn't buy there, all of that stuff with them telling you NO could've been avoided?? I had the same thing happened to me at Nordstrom did you know they won't fix tires either?? I can't even believe it. Now I need some maintenance done on my car; a friend told me about a mechanic but they are like 5 miles away and Cosco is only 3 miles. I think I'll go there today and see if the fix my car.

6 3 Reply

Mar 08, 2015 #955695

That's great considering Costco is not a garage it only does tires :)

1 1 Reply

Jan 16, 2015 #932058 Seoul, Seoul

No offence, but I think you were the first one who crossed the line. Uhm, It's not that I'm saying he's action was right though(he should've been nicer to you), but what you did at the tire center at Costco was quite inappropriate because, I think, you were thinking like and acting like,,, you were a sort of "Owner" cuz you had spent lots of money, and he was a slave. As matter of fact, I'm working for a Costco in Seoul, and I do see a lot of local members who ignore our policy; ask, sometimes, for something unreasonable, or yell easily anywhere in the store if they think themselves not satisfied with our service. But if you're really a loyal member, haven't you ever been wondering what differances we, Costco, make from other competitors? I don't expect you to fully understand our policy, but at least you could think about why we don't accept some customers' demand. I'm not trying to make an excuse, and also I don't want to look I'm judging you. We do have our own policy including our efficient and systematic procedure of dealing with customers in order to keep the prices lowest compared to any other stores. I know, as for the way we, Costco workers, treat our members, it may be cosidered poorer than other competitors, but our top priority goal is to keep prices as lower as possible for our members, so I suggest you understand more about why the they cannot sometimes accept some demands against our policy as well as procedures.

8 3 Reply

Dec 19, 2014 #918167 West Roxbury, Massachusetts

uh firstly the BBB has nothing to do with Costco it's not THEIR stores.
secondly this is a PUBLIC complaints board NOT belonging to the BBB or to Costco so why are you asking for them to do something on HERE?
thirdly you admit you got loud with the manager, did you expect him to just sit there and take it? no. as a business they have the RIGHT to refuse service to any one at anytime for ANY reason. YOU escalated the problem by getting loud with him.
as for the tire repair it makes PERFECT sense to me. if they didn't sell the product they can't repair it or they'd be liable should something go wrong. they're not an actual auto shop like a full mechanic would have.
lastly, which in part goes along with my above remarks as to why you're complaining on HERE asking THEM to help you? why the heck would you post your phone # ? you're just inviting spam calls from people who will find ways to harass you. I've known people this happened to because of situations like this.
so in closing, quit your baby whining, get off your soap box, let go of mommy's hand, take your thumb out your butt, and get on with your *** life.

9 3 Reply

Dec 26, 2014 #921454 Bakersfield, California

You're as immature as the guy youre writing about!!!!

2 3 Reply

Nov 30, 2014 #908313 Spring, Texas

They've never repaired tires. I'm sure you're making the story to suit yourself, but you're asking them to do something they don't do, and have never done.
You joined in January 2014, when is this supposed time that they used to do it, according to you?

4 1 Reply

Oct 27, 2014 #891527 New York, New York

Poor Costco manager had a bad day when an *** came to the store with wrong idea what they have to offer. Now *** is making comments and still not aware what was wrong with his or her request.

7 1 Reply

Jul 03, 2014 #835461

If they are not their tires, they can't fix them.
Liability and laws and stuff that you probably don't understand.
And I am pretty sure you left out what you actually said to this man on purpose.
If Costco threatens to kick you out of the store, you messed up.
I worked there for two years and only saw it happen once to a man who pushed a woman.

13 0 Reply

Jun 28, 2014 #833256 West Sacramento, California

I'm an employee at costco, I've been there for 8 years. Not once have we repaired any tires that were not bought from us, as it is a liability issue. You were probably one of the members that wouldn't listen and kept going on and on about how you know how to do our job

14 1 Reply

Jun 27, 2014 #832925

Given your unreasonable response to a corporate policy and your admission that you "got a little angry" first, without hearing Johnny's side of the story I'd give little credence to your version. I'm inclined to suspect that you were much less reasonable than you claim (perhaps abusive and/or threatening) and that Johnny's responses were much more reasonable than you claim (perhaps he raised his voice just to make sure that you could hear him over your own rantings because he wanted to give you a chance to leave before having the police come and you ending up with an arrest record).
Why would anyone get angry with an employee because his company decided not to offer a particular service or stock a particular product? When the cable guy shows up at your house to install cable, do you also expect him to clean your bathroom?
Costco is not in the tire repair business - they ARE in the tire selling business. Many, perhaps every, tire they sell comes with a road hazard guarantee and a manufacturer's warranty. If the tire is not safely repairable (which is often the case), they replace the tire if it's within warranty and you pay a pro-rata portion of the cost of the new tire based on tread wear. Every time I've gone through this process, things went very smoothly.
Tire repair is a risky business as it's not possible to always tell (at least without sophisticated imaging equipment that no retail tire shop has) if the tire has been damaged by running flat and, as a result,
... Show more

8 0 Reply

Apr 11, 2014 #804228 Louisville, Kentucky

It is funny how stories become twisted and how people change stories for sympathy. Costco will bend over backwards to help there members, and take great care of there employees. So when you are yelling "*** you" at employees you will be asked politely to leave. If you continue after being asked to leave, yes they will tell you they are calling the police.

8 1 Reply

Apr 06, 2014 #802528 Auburn, Massachusetts

um firstly the BBB doesn't "own" Costco so calling it their store is incorrect.
secondly posting on here is a PUBLIC forum not an official forum for Costco nor the BBB.
next you should NEVER post your phone # in a public forum unless of course, this is a very bad attempt at getting someone you know trolled by saying it's your number but it's theirs.
after reading your complaint and noticing the numerous spelling errors I was able to figure out that you ADMIT you got "ANGRY" with him since they used to do it but he had already told you they don't anymore unless you purchased the tires there.
you should learn to take no for an answer instead of getting mad and he has every right to tell you to leave. that has NOTHING to do with Costco policy but with regards to ANY company having EVERY right to tell ANY customer to leave for ANY/NO reason whatsoever. it's bad business in many cases but in this one you ADMIT you got angry with him because he wouldn't budge on their policy so he became defensive to YOUR angry attitude and refusal to take no for an answer so insisted you leave or he calls the police. nothing at all wrong with that i'm afraid
gotta get off your high horse and feeling of entitlement and move on with your life. small as it might be.

4 0 Reply
First Born Triplet

Apr 06, 2014 #802484 Markham, Ontario

Here we go again, another employee who was bored so they decided to make things interesting by calling the police on the customer and for no reason at all.

2 8 Reply

1-20 of 45 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Costco. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Costco.
Filing a new complaint about