Ordering Furniture - don't be fooled by Costco name - be prepared for a nightmare
First, don't think that ordering furniture from Costco is like ordering any other merchandise. It's a completely different beast. You will be left at the mercy of the manufacturer and the shipping company and Costco WILL NOT HELP YOU. You may love a piece of furniture and are in a rush to buy, but please read my experience first before you do so.
Summary: if you are OK with waiting a very long time (longer than Costco claims) for your order, and in dealing with three different entities saying frustratingly different things in case something does go wrong, then you should go ahead and order with Costco. I hope it works out for you. This was a wedding gift so timing was very important which Costco could care less about. It was just another order. My suggestion is to go to any big furniture retailers or a department store as they are far more responsive and have better control over the process than Costco.
Costco did not fulfill the basic needs of servicing their customer. They are behaving like a low tier discount retailer with a "you get what you pay for" mentality
My first mistake was believing the false claim about delivery times being made on the Costco website. The site states 3-5 weeks time, but the moment you call the shipping company (Lodeso in my case) they will pooh pooh those estimates and suggest a 4-6 week period.
Second, the delivery company website tracking is a joke. They will tell you that when an order has shipped, but that is not for you, it is shipping from the manufacturer to the delivery company. The order will need to be 'Consolidated' before it gets to you.
Three weeks into the order, I checked in with Costco on the status. They pretty casually let me know that there is little they can assist me with other than give me the contact of the delivery company. But yeah they did make a big deal out of changing the phone number on the order. A very official email was sent two day later by an escalation team member letting me know how Costco was successful in changing this info and the contact of the team member was given with an email and phone number. Don't bother, you are now in possession of a useless email and phone number, as they will not respond to you.
I called the delivery company and they pointed me to the manufacturer (Lifestyle furniture). This is where it got really frustrating. Many false promises were made and broken politely.
I was told that the rails were broken and needed to be replaced, but don't worry as a replacement order is on the way. She asked if I would take a partial delivery to which I said yes, and the agent at the company tells me that she will make it happen. Two days later, I call the delivery company and they say that they need confirmation from Costco for a partial delivery. I call Costco's escalation line and left messages with two different people, but no response. I call the furniture company and the same agent who was working on my case, who had even promised me that she will send used slats in the interim and will replace with new ones, repeats the same info. I asked her for the partial delivery and it is if she is hearing it for the first time.
My five weeks per Costco claim are up and still no sign of the furniture. No calls from Costco escalation have been returned despite repeated messages to two different agents.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
You May Also Like
- "We have had Jeromes service person to our house three times to look at our sectional because the vinyl fabric started wearing through in the first three months. Each time,..."
- "I spent over $4000 on the second most expensive tempurpedic mattress in the store. When we got the mattress, we noticed it has several old, dirty stains. They mattress did..."
- "Im so in love with my 1.3 carat ring from costco but ive had it less than 6 months and two diamonds fell out. I got it fixed for no..."
- "After being pleased with six months of Urthbox subscribership, I noticed that the subscription had unexpected renewed itself. I was not too concerned, and asked customer service to please cancel..."
- "Could somebody help me retrieve the first fourteen digits on my credit card please? I have not seen my card for a month and I need help to remember my..."
- "I ordered a tempered glass screen protector. I didn't realize it was coming from China, but was prepared to be patient. took 2 weeks to arrive and then was completely..."
- "If I could rate Presidential Suites resort negative stars I would. First off let me say that this was my honeymoon and it was a nightmare. As in previous postings..."
- "I was disabled 5 yrs ago by a drunk driver. Now, I am on SO much morphine and other mind altering drugs because of the pain and burning sensation that..."
- "I purchased Indique Tahitian Wave 24' 3 weeks ago and had it installed. When it came it was excited because of the packaging and the few reviews I saw about..."