3600 E Main St, Waterbury, CT 06705, USA

I stopped at the Waterbury, CT store to purchase some light bulbs and printing paper on 4/30/2018 at approximately 10:45AM. I used the self checkout and while I was checking out, the woman who oversees the registers kindly helped me with my purchase. One the way out, I was saddened to see a line of approximately one dozen people where they check your receipt at the exit door. I was last in line and watched as the girl quickly ushered customer after customer through, putting a check mark on their receipts without EVER counting an item in their cart. In a perfect example of profiling, when my turn came, she counted EVERY item in my cart, and counted them wrong. The receipt said I had 24 items, she said she counted 25. Another woman then came over and also counted the items, for a second time. She also counted wrong.

I became irritated and removed all the items from the cart, and dumped them on the floor so they could be counted again. I then counted every item in front of the two women, the total items were 24. Finally, two security guards, one manager(Mark) and another assistant manager(Jeff) confiscated my items and took them to the customer service area where they began counting them AGAIN. I protested that I was in a hurry and didn't have time for this. I then began video taping the rest of the incident on my phone.

Employee Jeff smugly shook his head and smiled as he took his time counting my items. He seemed to be enjoying the whole thing. The second woman also smugly looked on as if she had just caught a thief.

Finally, after having two female employees, two managers and at least one security personnel count my items, they determined that the count of the items matched the receipt EXACTLY. This was after approximately 20-30 minutes of my time was wasted.

In the end, the manager apologized to me and admitted that his employees had been mistaken. After being treated like a criminal and being humiliated in front of the rest of the customers in the store, I thanked them and walked out.

This is the worst shopping experience I have ever had. I will be uploading the video to social media so that the rest of the world can see how Costco treats it's paying customers in Waterbury, CT.

Product or Service Mentioned: Costco Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Costco Cons: Smug employees who profile customers.

Comments

I shopped at Costco today at New Rochelle ny location and was treated like a criminal because a candy bag was open and I took one from the bag, a tall heavy set black male was following me , he came to the register when I was checking out and made me paid for the entire package, what a shame on Costco.

I get the same treatment every time. They wouldn't even let me in the building today to get a new card because mine had expired.

@Bob

They treat very bad their customers, we have to boycott costco.

Happens to me every time I go there. My card expired so I went to Costco to get a new one and they wouldn't even let me in the building.

You can’t ascribe motive or emotion to people when you have no idea what they thought or felt. You watched people doing their jobs, the smug part comes from your imagination.

Who the *** feels smug about being dragged away from what they’re doing to go count items? The door person was wrong, others came to help sort the issue out. How do you know employee Jeff wasn’t shaking his head because he thought this was a waste of time, or because this door person catches errors that turn out to be false all the time, and he’s tired of going through baskets? It doesn’t even sound like a shoplifting accusation.

They always check at the door in case the cashier made a mistake, not because they think it stops shoplifters. It’s not like you were cuffed and dragged into the office to wait for the cops, and the store manager apologized to you.

In fact, it’s not typical for four people to be involved in a simple recount, so I’m guessing you made quite a scene and they had to send several managers and supervisors to deal with you. So if you’re embarrassed, that’s on you for drawing attention to yourself.

How in the world do you claim a Monetary Loss: $500.when you bought light bulbs and printing paper?Or are you just being dramatic?Since you are This unhappy to write a novel of a compliant, then the best thing to do is to send a letter to their Corporate Headquarters explaining your complaint.That information is found on their website.

@Anonymous

I know there are jerks, the only way they will understand is to boycott costco at least for a month

Costco Reviews