19.7K views

My wife and I take our disabled son shopping at Costco, he buys food on his EBT (food stamp) card.We were advised today that because HE is not a member they will no longer accept his EBT card. He lives on Social Security and has no way to afford a membership.

We went to Walmart and spent over $100.00.

I am begining to wonder why I am paying $110.00 a year for a membership and I am finding myself at Walmart more and more, buying things I used to get at Costco.

IE: Cottage Cheese Butter spread, Chaboni is same price and better selection...

Comments

You can add your son to the membership if you live at the same address otherwise when checking out You just use his EBT card. OR when Groupon has their 20 dollar special get him his own membership.

I have the same type of thing and I wish more places would let you use it because I am also on SSI and get a food stamps card and if I could use it at Costco with my parents that would be great but I can't afford a damn $70 membership!

to Sarah #1537198

Give your card to your parents to make the purchase. I have don’t it for my dad on SSI. He gave me his pin and Done!

to Sarah #1545806

They are 60 but if you look online and get a Groupon when they do the Promo they are only 20 bucks and u get a few coupons. Very worth it.

Oakland, California, United States #1261703

Once a month I go to Costco with my daughter and use my ebt card. I'm over 60 and do work part time.

I'm always allowed to purchase using her card. I buy chicken and pork chops in bulk.

It really helps with my budget. Thank you Costco.

LadyScot

Easy. You have the membership, your son does not.

Take your son shopping where he can use his EBT card, or get him a membership. You do not get to get around a contractual obligation by using your son's disability as an excuse.

to LadyScot Sylmar, California, United States #1135431

How in the *** can her son get and/or PAY FOR a COSTCO card when he is on EBT (Poor)! They should put HIM on her card. Costco is ***

to FAIRNESSMAN San Leandro, California, United States #1196739

You can add a member to a card for free. If she had any brains she would do that.

to FAIRNESSMAN #1545809

Costco has rules they have to follow, they can add him if he lives with them or they could by him a membership when Groupon has them for 20 dollars. You will more then make up the price diffrence.

How do you think Coscto pays their employees?

Through memberships of course they pay well and keep prices low for members by wholesale. By no means is Costco a discriminatory place you can use your EBT some employees have ebt because they are disabled and only can work very limted hours or they are retired and on SS.

to LadyScot #1499974

You're an ugly and rude human being ugh I hate people like you. It's called common courtesy. It's not going to hurt Costco if they let them use their membership to help their son.

JellyDoll
to Fedup #1526450

Get him his own membership - problem solved. It's a membership only club. It's clearly stated in the rules.

JellyDoll
to Anonymous #1526755

You must have a terrible crush on me to keep following me all around this site. ;)

to JellyDoll #1526491

Yes and we all know that you must "follow the rules". Nevermind the negative consequences! We must all "Follow the rules".

to Fedup #1532598

And if they let everyone do that. It adds up.

to Fedup #1545810

How many people should Costco break the rules for then? Why be a membership club if you let non members shop?

You see how that works? Employees are paid through membership fees. Costco doesnt make money on products like say Target.

So if they bend the rules each time someone comes in then what? Employees lose jobs etc.

I work at Costco and the only reason they would tell you they won't accept his card is because we are constantly pushed to get more memberships. Another small reason could be if they were having an internal audit .

They strive to give a good customer experience but when the site is audited and membership names don't match the payment method things get messy and were pushed to get a membership out of the cardholder who's making the purchases on someone else's membership. I don't think it's personal. Costco is a membership club and they want everyone to have a membership. It would be like going to the gym with a friend, they'll let you use your friends membership a couple times and then they will push you to get your own.

I honestly don't think $55 a year is all that much. I recently gave birth to a child and he has a few health issues so I haven't been able to go back to work. I just got an EBT card today for the first time in my life. I have work since I was 15 and I am 35 years old.

I do not feel guilty at all about getting help with groceries until I can go back to work. For all of those who care the nice car I drive is already paid off, it would cost me more to get a flip phone vs my fancy phone I already have at this point and I don't think there's anything wrong with buying protein powder. I drink 2 protein shakes a day versus eating regular food. When I was younger I used to think that using the system was some bad, evil thing especially because I was raised with a little bit more money than most people.

Now that I have a new infants who is sick I'm understanding that I fallen on hard times that doesn't mean I'll stay on the system or abused it I just need a little bit of help until I can get back to work at Costco. People should be a little bit more cautious about what they say because karma is real and it does come around even if it won't be a financial hardship.

to Anonymous #1381365

Where is your husband?

to Jan #1412658

gross. you are gross.

to Jan #1444306

Where is his wife you mean...

to Jan #1544269

REALLY ??? That was just uncalled for.

Best of luck anonymous.

You seem like the exact kind of person these things are designed to help. Hope your little one get better, and you can get back to normal :)